To take advantage of good speeds in 5G, there are two criteria that are essential. You need a high-performance 5G modem in the components of your smartphone as well as an operator who invests massively in the most interesting 5G bands to optimize download speeds!
The United States and the United Kingdom are among the “good students” for 5G speeds
Several months ago, several reports claimed that the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max offered the best speeds in 5G. Ookla who owns the web service speed test wanted check these words to ensure that it was not a disguised advertisement on the part of Apple.
Obviously, the data that has been collected is very true, the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max have confirmed their ability to provide better 5G download speed compared to the main competitors that can be found at Samsung and other companies.
Here is what Ookla says about the functioning of its study on the smartphones that offer the highest performance in 5G:
Our analysis looked at the five fastest growing 5G devices in a given country. To be included, a device had to have a market share greater than or equal to 0.5% of all devices and a minimum sample size of 100 devices in a given market. Each market we looked at only included 5G samples from each 5G vendor in a given country. This means that performance will most likely vary from network to network and country to country, but it does give some insight into what can generally be expected.
The Ookla report focuses on United States and at UKunsurprisingly, Apple is far ahead of its competitors, the Californian giant can thank Qualcomm which is at the origin of the 5G modem inside the latest generation iPhones!
Fastest 5G Smartphone in USA
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: 177.21 Mbps (down) / 19.28 Mbps (up)
- iPhone 14 Pro: 175.08 Mbps (down) / 18.59 Mbps (up)
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4: 162.50 Mbps (downstream) / 15.17 Mbps (upstream)
- Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G: 140.06 Mbps (down) / 14.77 Mbps (up)
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra: 137.42 Mbps (down) / 14.48 Mbps (up)
Fastest 5G smartphone in the UK
- iPhone 14 Pro: 171.24 Mbps (down) / 16.59 Mbps (up)
- iPhone 13 Pro Max: 165.49 Mbps (down) / 13.84 Mbps (up)
- iPhone 14 Pro: 158.24 Mbps (down) / 15.06 Mbps (up)
- iPhone 13 mini: 157.42 Mbps (down) / 11.91 Mbps (up)
- iPhone 13 Pro: 154.50 Mbps (down) / 13.26 Mbps (up)
Note that the results you see above come from data collected over the period of third quarter of 2022. Ookla states: “It should be noted that some newer device models like the iPhone 14, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 and Google Pixel 7 were launched in certain markets on different days and may not have been included in our analysis of the third quarter of 2022”.