We explain what are the differences between these two concepts: Artificial Intelligence vs. Machine Learning.
Both the concept of Artificial Intelligence such as Machine Learning I’m sure they are familiar to you. However, it is not always easy to know what the differences are between the two terms. We are going to explain what each of these concepts consists of, what their characteristics are and what differences there are between them.
To develop these ideas we will try to simplify things. Our goal is to help you understand both ideas well, but without going into complex technicalities. In this way, you will learn the differences between Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning even if you do not have advanced knowledge.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
The Artificial intelligencealso known by the acronym IA, is a concept in which it is proposed that a machine is capable of emulating human thoughts and applying them in different fields.
Therefore, when we talk about Artificial Intelligence, we are not really referring to any specific product, but to an approach to technology in which an computer system performs tasks that were previously exclusive to humans. These range from written conversations, movements or speech.
How artificial intelligence is applied today
Taking this explanation into account, we cannot speak of different types of AI, but rather of different applications of this approach. Here are some examples of what we can consider Artificial Intelligence:
- robots. With a body similar to a human or an animal, they manage to act as such thanks to a series of mechanized movements. The control of the robots is usually ruled by a computer that is in charge of controlling the whole body.
- chatbots. It is a system that is capable of, in a certain way, reasoning like a human being. Thanks to this, it manages to have a conversation with a person, as if it were a WhatsApp chat. A notable example of this type of AI is ChatGPT, which performs a lot of human-like tasks.
- photo editing. It is another field in which Artificial Intelligence has gained popularity. For the processing that the phones make of the captures, an Artificial Intelligence is used that identifies scenes, changes certain parameters and even improves photographs with digital zoom.
- people identification. AI-powered facial recognition has higher reliability.
- voice assistants. Another technology that feeds on Artificial Intelligence is that of voice assistants. Many of them are adopting advanced systems that allow them to better understand users and resolve requests more accurately.
- Home appliances. Some manufacturers are adopting the technology that Artificial Intelligence proposes and improving their products for the home. For example, thanks to advanced AI systems, a robot vacuum cleaner is more effective, cleaning only the areas it has not previously passed through.
These are just a few examples of how AI is having or will have a notable impact on our daily lives through technological products. It can be applied to pure software solutions or to better control hardware.
What is Machine Learning?
He Machine Learning It is related to Artificial Intelligence. But in reality it is only one of the tools used to give “life” to the latter. The expression Machine Learning, which is in English, means machine learning. However, we tend to use a more appropriate term in Spanish: automatic learning. And this denomination is very significant. Because?
Because the Machine Learning consists of giving machines the ability to learn without human intervention. The point is that, although the learning system requires initial programming, it is later capable of detecting patterns and acquiring new knowledge.
As it is a branch of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning is already being applied today in aspects of our lives that are very similar to those that we have mentioned before. In fact, AI needs to have a machine learning system to be able to improve and learn from the user without the need for a programmer to monitor their actions at all times.
Differences between Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
In a strict sense, there are no differences between Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning, since both concepts are simply related. The truth is machine learning is needed to make AIs more competent. Thus, intelligent systems are able to improve without having to program new pieces of code.
Of course, despite the fact that Machine Learning is a path towards the improvement of Artificial Intelligence, Obviously they don’t mean the same thing.. Therefore, we can use some parameters to find divergences.
The way to classify AI and Machine Learning are not the same. The first concept is divided between narrow, general or super intelligence artificial intelligence. Where you place each AI will depend on the tasks they are capable of performing.
On the contrary, the Machine Learning is classified into the following categories:
- supervised learning
- Semi-supervised learning
- Unsupervised learning
- reinforcement learning
In this case, each type of learning depends on the data that is available and the task to be performed.
The purpose of AI and machine learning is not identical either.
The Artificial intelligence Its main objective is to transfer cognitive capacities from humans to machines.
Unlike AI, the Machine Learning it pursues a very different end, namely to use data to create patterns or trends that allow machines to acquire new abilities without human intervention.
Although Machine Learning helps bring about more powerful AI systems, both concepts can be applied separately. The technological fields in which these denominations appear are practically identical. However, the way to apply them is very different.
For example, the Artificial intelligence it is capable of covering a greater number of tasks and gives rise to the implementation of systems that solve all kinds of problems. He Machine Learning it applies to more specific tasks, such as search results, movie recommendations on a streaming platform, or the like.
The AI and Machine Learning specialists They don’t have the same knowledge. There are free courses on artificial intelligence that will help you get started. But what you need are skills in algorithms, robotics or programming.
Unlike this, the Machine Learning requires more specific, data-related skills, such as mathematics, data evaluation, or probability and statistics.