The good condition of the tires is not everything for the ITV
As you know, the evaluation of the conditions of the tires is an aspect of the most serious defects are detected in vehicle inspections carried out in our country, behind the state of lighting and signage.
In figures, they occupy 19.3% of the total, according to data from the Spanish Association of Collaborating Entities with the Administration in ITV (AECA-ITV). And it is that he good condition of the tires is crucial, as they are the contact point between the vehicle and the road and play a key role in safety.
For this reason, the review of the condition of the wheels is among the main points of the technical inspection, because their condition will make the journey on the road more or less safe. However, there is another factor to consider, and that is the code they dial in the same
The importance of your codesIn this, we talk about what is a code that appears reflected in all car tires, and that is presented as an aspect to be considered and valued by all, since it is includes accurate information about the compounds, but also about the car itself.
Some codes that are located on the flank of the tire, where the marked specifications are shown. They are usually a combination of numbers and letters that represent a measurement or index related to the tire, load, and rim. And it is especially important to know them because some of these codes tell us whether or not we can mount the tires on our car, and above all they can do because the ITV review we won’t get past it.
For example, they can point us to data such as 205/55 R16 91V, which provide the following:
- The 205 It tells you the width of the tire in millimeters, so it would be 20.5 cm wide. Measurement is made from the widest part of the flank on one side to the widest part on the other side. The greater the width, the greater the grip and stability, but also the greater the consumption. In rain, greater risk of aquaplaning.
- The 55 It refers to the profile. The profile is the aspect ratio of the tire, given by the height and the width. The profile in this case is 55% of the width of the tire.
- The R. means the tire is radial type.
- The 16 is the measurement of the tire expressed in inches. Most modern cars move between 16-18 inches. The more tire, the more power you will need to move it.
- The 91V is the load index of the tire and the maximum speed that it can withstand.
And it is precisely there, in the load index and maximum speed where the Technical Inspection of Vehicles can ask us to back out the review.
The maximum speed it can withstand
Thus, we are talking about the speed index, an alphabetic code (and also numeric for tires with letter A) whose main function is to signal top speed that a tire can reach or support.
Given this, what the General Regulation establishes is that it is not allowed to install a tire of a lower speed code to the one indicated in the vehicle’s technical sheet, since it would not guarantee the security of the car or of the wheels, hence, if this anomaly is discovered during the review, it will be sufficient reason to suspend the ITV.
tire speed code the manufacturer puts it of the tire based on different types of factors that condition it, such as engine power and horsepower, vehicle weight, height and aerodynamics.