The vast majority of companies use software VMware ESXi for the virtualization of operating systems, it has recently been discovered that a vulnerability from about two years ago is being exploited in order to infect the entire system with ransomware, including the virtual machines that we have deployed on the server. Contrary to what many people think, although in vmware we have the possibility of taking snapshots, it is always advisable to have a good backup policy, and that is where backup software for virtual machines comes in Uranium Backup. This program allows you to encrypt your backups so that cybercriminals cannot access your data even if they steal the entire virtual machine. Do you want to know everything that this software is capable of?
What is Uranium Backup and what is it for?
Uranium Backup is a very easy to use and powerful software, since it will allow us to make a security copy files, folders, databases and even entire virtual machines. In addition, this software is very versatile because it supports multiple ways of making backup copies, exporting the copy to physical formats, through the local business network and also to supports such as external hard drives. This software is compatible with Windows operating systemsboth for desktop and also for server.
A very important feature of this software is that you can download Uranium Backup completely free of charge, and use it to perform full backups Without paying anything, if you are interested in trying the free version of Uranium Backup, you will have all these features:
- Unlimited file and folder backups.
- Scheduled automatic copies, in this way, we avoid the risk of forgetting to make backups manually.
- Allows you to compress the copies so that they take up less space in the final location.
- Configurations by email, it will notify us that the copy has finished satisfactorily or if there has been some type of error.
- Allows you to encrypt or encrypt backup copies, to preserve confidentiality.
The paid versions of this software are very cheap Compared to other backup solutions on the market, in addition, with these paid versions we will have:
- Disk image backup.
- Backup of virtual machines, both VMware ESXi as well as Microsoft’s Hyper-V.
- Copy of the databases with MySQL, MariaDB, MS SQL and Exchange.
Considering the threat of ransomware, and especially the VMware ESXi vulnerability, it is highly recommended to back up all virtual machines. In order to make the copy, Uranium Backup supports multiple destinations, either individually (one copy and one destination) or multiple (one copy to multiple destinations). This software supports cloud copies such as Amazon S3 and Google Drive, to a local or remote NAS server, to hard drives, FTP servers, and even to tape and optical media as well.
What do users of this software like the most?
With all the options and possibilities that Uranium Backup has, you may think that the software will be very complicated to use and is only suitable for experts. The truth is that one of the aspects that users of this software like the most is that it is a really light software without thousands of configurations, everything is very well organized so that anyone can use it, even if they don’t have too many Knowledge of computer systems. Other features highly valued by users are:
- The basic functions (file and folder backup) are completely freeand the prices of paid licenses start at €80 with a lifetime license, forever updates and technical support included.
- Great availability and versatility of the functions found in the paid versions.
- Ease of imaging a complete drive and backup copies of virtual machines.
- Easy to make backup copies in FTP and on the cloudwe do not have to make complex configurations for it.
A very important aspect is that you can try the gold version which is the most complete, during 21 days completely free. Another important aspect is that this Gold version integrates a version of Uranium Backup Professional subscriptionthis functionality will allow us to monitor all the computers to know if a backup copy has been executed and it has been done correctly.
What can we do with Uranium Backup Professional?
If you have a large number of computers that we have to make a full or partial backup, subscribing to Uranium Backup Professional is very interesting, because it will allow you to monitor in detail what is happening on each of the computers where it has been installed. the software. With this subscription we can:
- Check the status of the backup copies, and verify the date and time of when it was made and last executed.
- Knowing whether or not the computers are connected to the network and the Internet, if it is turned off, logically the backup cannot be executed.
- We can centrally update the Uranium Backup software, without the need to go to a PC or PC doing it manually.
In the latest version, there is a new section “Infrastructure» where the centralized management of backup copies in the final computers is improved, since it allows complete monitoring of the machines where the software is installed, checking if the computers are online or offline, in order to know the status in detail of the backup.
A very important aspect is that the Uranium Backup Professional subscription It is available on a monthly or yearly basis, but it is not licensed for life as is the case with Uranium Backup.