The iPhone has become a very useful tool in our daily lives, but it can also become the most distracting. For this reason, it is normal that you want to look for methods that help you reduce the time you spend in front of your screen. Fortunately for you, there is a feature provided by Apple. With her, you can control how much time you spend in each app or talking to certain contacts, and much more.
Apps like TikTok and Instagram have been shown to profoundly negatively affect your psyche. In this way, with this guide you will not only get less distracted, but also less exposure to potentially negative stimuli. Best of all, you don’t have to download anything extra on your iPhone, since iOS has everything you need.
Of course, to follow these steps, you need to have an iPhone with iOS 13 or higher. It was in this version that Apple first introduced the Screen Time feature. With it, you have at your disposal a whole suite of tools to control and manage the time you spend in front of your iPhone or iPad.
How to limit the time in apps from your iPhone
This procedure is suitable for both iPhone and iPad. So you can not only limit the time you spend on your mobile, but also on your other Apple devices. You just have to follow the steps that we leave you next.
- Enter the app Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll through the menu until you find the section screen time.
- This is where you’ll find Limits for apps.
- tap on add limit to start the procedure.
Now, select all the apps you want to limit screen time to. The iPhone system will sort everything into categories, so just tap on one to see which ones are in each category. Apps like Instagram, TikTok or Facebook will be inside Social networks, naturally. You can start by looking around.
- When you have them selected, tap on the button Following in the upper right corner.
- Specify how much maximum time you can spend on each app. To avoid mental health problems, the National Library of Medicine of the National Institutes of Health of the United States has determined that less than two hours a day is the most ideal.
- When you have left everything ready, tap on the button Add in the upper right corner.
- In case you want to remove this setting, you just have to slide the limit to the left. You will see a red button Remove. You can continue to slide the option until it is removed, or just tap on the button.
Other important features available in Screen Time
the section of Screen Time has many other features available. All of them, of course, aimed at keeping the way you use your devices at bay.
- time off. This option will allow you to disable non-essential features of your device. While you have it activated, you will only be able to use the phone calls and the apps that you have selected. All others will be out of range until the set time expires, or until you manually deactivate it.
- Communication limits. This feature offers similar functionality to Limit for apps. However, instead of limiting your time in applications, you will be able to limit the time you spend talking to certain contacts. This way you can avoid getting too distracted by talking to many people at the same time.
- Share across devices. By turning this switch on, all the settings set under Screen Time will be synced with your other devices linked to your Apple ID. This way you won’t have to set your preferences on each of them separately.