All about PS Remote Play
One of the great features of the PlayStation ecosystem is PS RemotePlay. This service was already available on PlayStation 4, although its capabilities have been improved with this new generation.
PS Remote Play was released in the year 2019 on PS4 version 7.00. Its main function was to be able to play the console directly from a mobile phonewhether it was an iPhone or a smartphone with an Android operating system.
This service gives you the possibility to play with your PlayStation 5 even if you are far from the console. You can lie on your bed and continue playing, or you can even play while away from home. In short, it is as if you could carry your huge PlayStation 5 in your pocket and weigh no more than your smartphone. The only requirement that you must meet is to have a high-speed Internet connection both where you have the console and in the place where you are going to use your mobile or computer.
How can I use PS Remote Play?
PS Remote Play is available from the following platforms:
- Windows PCs
- Other PlayStation 5
- Playstation 4
Although a PS5 can be controlled from another console and even with a PS4, very few users are going to take advantage of that functionality. Therefore, we will focus on explaining how you can use Remote Play from a computer or mobile phone.
Before you start, make sure you have your console PS5 updated to the latest version available and that you have one PlayStation Network account active.
How to play PlayStation 5 on a computer
Whether you have a PC or a Mac, you will be able to play remotely with your PS5 in a simple way.
PS Remote Play is available for Windows 10 and Windows 11. It requires that we have a seventh generation Intel Core processor or higher (or AMD equivalent) on our computer. They will also ask us for 2 GB or more of RAM. You can play on any HD screen, but the experience is infinitely better if your computer’s screen is at least Full HD.
The process to enable PS Remote Play on Windows is as follows:
- Download the PS Remote Play app from the PlayStation official website.
- Run the installer, accept the agreements and finish the process.
- On your PS5, go to Settings > System > Remote Use > Enable Remote Play.
- Go back to the computer. Connect the controller to your PC with a USB cable.
- Launch PS Remote Play and sign in to PlayStation Network.
- Set video settings and frame rate based on your screen resolution and screen flickering.
- Find the PS5 console associated with your account.
- Once this is done, you will be able to play with your console from that computer whenever you want.
If you are going to use PS Remote Play on a Mac, the first thing you should know is that it is only available for computers with macOS 10.13 (macOS High Sierra) or higher system. There are no more limitations regarding the processor, although we will need about 2 GB of free RAM memory while the app is running.
- Go to the official Sony website and download PS Remote Play for macOS.
- Depending on the security settings you have applied on your Mac, you will be able to install the app without problems or you will have to do some extra step. If you’re having trouble, go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and allow apps downloaded from identified developers and allow them to run manually by entering your macOS password.
- Now, go to console and enable remote connection in Settings > System > Remote Use > Enable Remote Play.
- Go back to your Mac. Connect your PS5 controller to the computer —you may have to use a dongle in case you have a laptop that only supports USB-C—.
- Open the PS Remote Play app and sign in to PlayStation Network with your username and password.
- Select the video settings for your screen.
- Find the PS5 console associated with your PSN account.
- Clever. You can now play your PS5 remotely with your Apple computer.
How to play the PlayStation 5 from a mobile device
You can play remotely with your PS5 on multiple devices. You can play on your iPhone, on your Android smartphone or on any tablet, such as the iPad.
As we have seen before, the process is quite easy and almost lossless:
- Download PS Remote Play for Android (Google Play) or for iOS/iPadOS (Apple App Store).
- Prepare your console from Settings > System > Remote Use > Enable Remote Play.
- Back on your mobile device, open the PS Remote Play app and sign in to PSN with the same account you use on the PlayStation 5.
- Within the app, go to Settings > Mobile data and activate ‘Mobile data usage‘.
- Now, connect the remote wirelessly as we will tell you in the next section.
Once these steps are done, you can now play the PS5 on your mobile or tablet. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the mobile data consumption. You will need a generous data rate to be able to play regularly, or be near a Wi-Fi network that is fairly fast.
Connect the controller wirelessly
You can connect the DualSense to your device with PS Remote Play wirelessly. This requirement is essential on some phones and tablets. The steps you must follow to pair the controller via Bluetooth are these:
- To connect the remote to your mobile phone, tablet or computer wirelessly, first make sure that it is off. Later, hold the ‘Create’ button and the ‘PS’ button on the DualSense at the same time.
- go to the bluetooth settings from your computer or mobile and select the remote in the list.
- Once paired, the DualSense light bar will flash, indicating that it has been paired. Please note that when you return to your PS5, you will need to pair the controller again.
Turn on the console remotely
It won’t do you any good to play remotely if you need someone at home to turn on your PlayStation 5 for you. Whether you play on your computer or on your mobile phone, you can program your console to turn on remotely. The steps you must follow are these:
- go to Settings > System > Energy saving > Functions available in sleep mode.
- Then activate the option ‘Stay connected to the Internet‘. Then also check the option ‘Activate power on your PS5 from the network‘.
- Now, you can turn on your PS5 whether you’re in the next room or away from home.