We explain how to request to vote by mail if you have decided to exercise this right and you will not be able to go to a polling station on the corresponding day.
If you intend to vote in the following elections and have thought about doing so by mail, what we tell you here interests you. In the following sections we will explain the procedure to request the absentee ballot. The entire process is executed online, at least as far as the application is concerned.
In addition to explaining what steps to follow, in the sections that follow you will find some reminders that you should keep in mind regarding this matter. In this way, you will have all the necessary information to exercise your right to vote without having to go in person to a polling station.
Reminders about voting by mail
Before getting down to work, it is good that you know some important aspects about the application for a vote by mail:
- Who can apply. Voting by mail is available to voters residing in Spain. It can also be requested by residents abroad with the right to vote in the elections called and who are temporarily in Spain.
- Who can’t apply. Voting by mail cannot be requested by voters residing in Spain who are temporarily abroad, nor by voters residing abroad who request it from their country of residence.
- Voting by mail nullifies voting at the electoral college. The official guidelines state, verbatim, that the voter, “once the application has been submitted via the web, if it is accepted by the Electoral Census Office, will not be able to vote at the polling station on voting day.”
- What are the deadlines. You can request to vote by mail from the date of the call and until May 18, 2023.
What do you need to request a vote by mail?
Now that you are clear about some basic concepts about voting by mail, it is time to discover which are the requirements that you must comply
- Install an electronic certificate in Windows to use it, for example, in Chrome.
- As an alternative, it is also possible to access with an electronic ID.
- Run the process from a computer to electronically sign a PDF.
- Have the possibility of commuting. This means that, although the request is completely electronic, part of the process must be done at a Post Office. If, for any reason, you cannot leave home, the solution is to delegate the vote by mail before a notary to another person who acts as proxy.
Are you clear on the requirements? It is time to learn what are the steps to request a vote by mail.
Request to vote by mail step by step
Ordering the vote-by-mail package is really simple. Of course, you will need to have some previous technical knowledge to install the electronic certificate on your computer or use the DNIe. You should also know the method for sign a PDF document with a certificate.
When you have resolved these details, go to the Correos website to request to vote by mail. There, click the button Request.
Read carefully all the information that appears on the screen. Although we have reviewed the requirements that you will see in this article, it is possible that Correos offers you new details that have been added after the writing of this guide.
Once you have no doubts, scroll to the bottom of the page and press the button Continue which you will see in the lower right corner. It is the one that appears next to the text “To submit your vote-by-mail application via the web, you will be asked for a digital certificate or electronic DNI – you must have AutoFirma installed-”. remember that you can download the necessary softwarethat is, AutoFirma from here.
In the browser, select the digital certificate you want to use to identify yourself. By doing so, Correos will obtain your data reliably and securely. At this point, the system will have verified who you really are. Review the information that appears on the screen and, if it is correct, check the box below to accept the terms and conditions. Finally, click on Continue.
If necessary, follow the additional steps on the screen. Once you have completed the procedure, your request will be sent.
Remember that you can consult the status of your application from the same Correos website that we linked above.
How to finish the procedure?
As soon as your application is approved, the following documents are sent to the indicated address:
- One ballot from each of the political formations that are presented to each of the summoned processes.
- A voting envelope for each process
- The certificate of registration in the census.
- An envelope with the information of your polling station.
- An explanatory sheet.
After receiving the instructions at home, follow them to complete the process successfully. Basically, these are the steps you should follow:
- To send your vote by mail in the elections, you must place the voting envelopes and the certificate of registration in the census in the envelope that has the address of your polling station printed on it. However, avoid including any document proving your identity in the voting envelope, as this will invalidate your vote.
- Once you have placed all the documents in the corresponding envelope, take it to any Post Office and send it by certified mail, which is free of charge. It is important that you make the shipment before the third day prior to the date of the elections.
- When sending your envelope, you must present your original valid ID at the Post Office. In this way, you can ensure that your vote is registered and valid in the elections.
Finally, remember that, once you have requested to vote by mail, you can’t change your mind. Going to a polling station is no longer an option in your case.