Windows allows you to easily turn your PC into a WiFi repeater, either through the settings or from the command console.
Currently, there are billions of people who have a WiFi connection in their homes, because Internet browsing has become a fundamental part of everyday life.. However, it is no secret to anyone that, sometimes, the WiFi signal is not capable of reaching every corner of the home. This is especially noticeable when it comes to a large house with many walls.
If you don’t want to experience the weak WiFi signal, you can always buy a repeater device, which is responsible for receiving said signal and boosting it through every corner of the home. However, this is difficult if you cannot or do not want to spend money. Although you should know that there is a way to solve this and that is by turning your computer into a WiFi repeater.
This is somewhat simpler than you might imagine, since you will only have to follow a few steps. Besides, you can do it from windows 11, the most recent version of Microsoft’s operating system; So if you were wondering whether to upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10 and lose features, you can rest assured that you won’t. Although it is also possible to turn the PC into a repeater with third-party programs.
When should you use the computer as a WiFi repeater?
If you live in a house or apartment with many walls and your room is far from the router, then it is almost guaranteed that you will have problems receiving the WiFi signal. In fact, you could receive it, but it would not be stable or fast enough.
This problem occurs due to the obstacles that the WiFi signal encounters on the way, be it walls, doors and, logically, the distance itself. But if you have a laptop or computer that you no longer use, then you should know that you can give it new life and turn it into a WiFi repeater.
In this way, and through a series of settings adjustments, you will be able to make the laptop or computer receive the WiFi signal and send it to all addresses in your house, making it easy for you to receive it. Although, for this, the only condition is that this equipment is in an area where it receives the signal, logically.
But that’s not all, since we will also tell you how you can turn your computer into a kind of additional router, with your own password, name and security protocolswhich means that a new and stronger network signal will be created and distributed throughout the house.
Although in this sense, it is important that this computer is protected from external threats, since if you get infected with any malware, it could be transmitted to all connected devices. Therefore, it is recommended that you have the best antivirus for Windows 11, as they will help you protect your computer.
How to use the computer as a WiFi repeater from Windows 11
Windows 11, like previous versions of Microsoft’s operating system, has the possibility of converting the equipment into a WiFi repeater. Logically, for this, the only requirement is that the computer or laptop be connected to the network, either by Ethernet cable or directly through WiFi.
If you like turn your Windows 11 computer into a WiFi repeateryou should know that it is a very simple task and that it will not take you more than a couple of minutes.
- The first thing you should do is access the Setting Windows 11. To do this, you can use the command WINDOWS + I.
- Once you are in this section, you must click on the option network and internet which is on the left side.
- After this, new options will open, but you must click on the one that says Wireless mobile hotspot.
- Now, you will have to look for the option that says Share my internet connection from and you choose if you want it to be from WiFi or Ethernet.
- So, you must select the option share about and choose the one that says Wifi.
- Then you will have to access Properties where you will see the name of this connection and its password.
- In this same section you can also change the network on which you want the signal to be repeated, either 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz.
- After you’ve done all this, the last thing is to go back and enable the toggle switch. Area with mobile coverage.
This is a trick that not all Windows users know and that it will be very useful, just like knowing how to delete users and accounts from Windows 11 can be, in case you need it.
So you can use the PC as a WiFi repeater from PowerShell and CMD
PowerShell is the new and improved command shell that is available in the Microsoft operating system since Windows 10. This is an updated and repowered version of the classic CMD of a lifetime.
Through PowerShell you can perform a lot of advanced tasks, and one of these is turn your PC into a WiFi repeater. This procedure is simple, although you will have to use some commands that we will share with you. But this is not all, since the best thing is that you can also follow these steps in CMD (Command Prompt).
- First, you must run PowerShell either CMD as administrator.
- Once the console interface has loaded, you will need to enter this command, although you will need to change the “loginname” and “password”.
- netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=connectionname key=password and you press Enter.
- After having created the WiFi connection, you simply have to activate it with the command: netsh wlan start hostednetwork and you press Enter.
- Afterwards, if you want to stop the WiFi connection that you have created, then you should use the command: netsh wlan stop hostednetwork and you press Enter.
Turn your computer into a WiFi repeater with third-party programs
If the previous options have not worked for you or simply Are you looking for a tool outside of Windows? To make it much more complete, you should know that there are programs to turn your PC into a WiFi repeater quickly and easily. One of the most interesting is MyPublicWiFi, which you can download for free through its website.
Once you have installed the program on your computer, it will allow you to create access points or even convert the PC into a WFi repeater, depending on what you need.
It should be noted that MyPublicWiFi is a program more advanced than what you’ll find in Windows, since it has a user system in which each person who wants to connect to the network must identify themselves with a special password. Not to mention that you can restrict access to the network.
This is one of the best and most complete tools to turn your PC into a WiFi repeater, not to mention that It is safe and it is available in Spanish. So you will be able to understand each available option, although it is recommended that you do not move settings that you do not know.