We tell you what are the aspects that you should take into account before hiring insurance for electric scooters.
Urban mobility has changed considerably. Little by little, citizens give opportunities to new media that move away from more traditional concepts, such as the car, the taxi or public transport. One of the main actors in this whole affair is the electric scooter. Attracted by its many advantages, such as its low maintenance cost, the fact that it does not pollute or how easy it is to store, many users are switching to this type of vehicle.
The best option for those who have decided to give the electric scooter and, above all, they want to move safely, is to hire a insurance for scooters. Now, it is possible that many doubts arise in this regard, such as what coverage does it have, how much does it cost or if it is really mandatory to hire them. All these questions are answered in this article.
When is scooter insurance mandatory?
Prior to the analysis of coverage, insurance companies and other issues, it is essential that we answer one of the questions that users of electric scooters ask the most. Is it really mandatory to take out insurance for this type of vehicle? In this sense, there are two possibilities depending on the use that is going to be given to the vehicle.
- When it is put to personal use. At the moment, In Spain there is no law that requires you to take out this type of insurance, as long as the scooter is not linked to an economic activity. However, some municipalities are legislating in this regard and there are already known places where it is necessary to take out insurance of these characteristics, as is the case of Alicante and Benidorm. So, despite the fact that there is no state legislation in this regard, we do recommend that you check if your city council has implemented any ordinance that requires you to have scooter insurance.
- When used for commercial activity. The DGT obliges to hire a liability insurance when the scooters are associated with an economic activity. For example, those companies that use these vehicles to deliver or as part of a rental service must take out insurance that covers the possible damage caused.
After these clarifications, you probably already know what you should do in your case. We must warn you that, although it is not mandatory, contracting this type of coverage it is highly recommended. Why?
Accidents with a scooter can cause significant damage, both material and human. In fact, it is estimated that more than 70% of drivers commit violations every day. The costs derived from any collision or fall with the scooter must be borne by the owner. Therefore, it is advisable to take out insurance in the following circumstances:
- When using the scooter to work. As we have indicated before, if you are developing an economic activity with the scooter, it is mandatory to take out insurance.
- If you constantly move through busy areas and with road traffic. The chances of falling or running over someone in an urban environment are very high. Without a doubt, you will feel calmer knowing that your scooter is covered and so are the rest of the road users.
- When you use the scooter daily. It is true that there are users who only take the vehicle from time to time. Perhaps in those cases, taking out insurance is less necessary. However, if you go back and forth with the scooter every day, the chances of having a problem increase considerably.
Factors that you must take into account when hiring insurance for a scooter
We hope we have helped you clear your doubts regarding the compulsory insurance on an electric scooter. Now we focus on the factors to consider when hiring an insurance of these characteristics. Reviewing these aspects will allow you to choose the best coverage based on the use you give the vehicle and your specific needs.
Ideally, scooter insurance should have the following toppings As minimum:
- civil liability. When we use this expression, we refer to the coverage of material or personal damage resulting from the use of the electric scooter. The normal thing is that most insurances offer this coverage, since it is the most basic of all. However, it is worth making sure that it is included, as well as the maximum amount covered by insurance and specific damage that are included in the fee.
- Physical damage to the vehicle. Another essential point in any insurance is the protection of the physical integrity of the vehicle. Depending on the price of the insurance, this coverage will be more or less extensive. For example, it is normal to apply a protection against vandalism either accidental breakage by third parties. In the same way, check that you are going to be covered before the subtraction of the scooter.
- Attendance. Finally, assistance is another of those basic coverages that your insurance should include. You never know where you can get stranded and under what circumstances need the help of a professional. To avoid surprises, check if there are specific areas in which assistance is not available.
The insurance for electric scooters sometimes they do not work for all personal mobility vehicles. Some companies may allow you to insure the use of hoverboards, segways or fast wheels, in addition to conventional electric scooters. On other occasions, you will come across more specific insurance that does not allow this type of mobility.
Also, you must be very clear which group does your scooter belong to so as not to make a mistake in contracting the insurance. Many companies discriminate between the following types of scooters:
- Type A. They are those that have a maximum speed of 20km/h and a weight not exceeding 25kg. They do not admit more than 1 occupant.
- Type B. They have a top speed 30km/h and weight not exceeding 50kg. They do not allow more than one occupant. This group includes segways and scooters with saddles.
- Type-C. It is the most powerful group, exceeding 30 km/h and with a maximum weight of 300kg. They can carry up to 3 people.
In short, the ideal is that you make sure that the insurance you are going to hire covers the class of vehicle you have. If you insure the wrong electric scooter, the insurer will refuse to answer In case of an accident.
In addition to the basic coverages that we have mentioned above, some companies offer additional services. Depending on the price and your needs, you may find it useful to hire them. Some of these additional coverages are the following:
- Legal defense. If an accident generates a conflict that materializes in a complaint, you will have legal advice.
- Medical coverage. In the event that you suffer physical damage, this coverage pays for the expenses derived from the necessary medical care.
- additional drivers. It is crucial that you look for this benefit if the scooter is going to be shared between different members of the family. That way everyone will be covered.
Type of payment and price
We put an end to this list of factors that you must take into account when hiring a insurance for a scooter talking about the price and the type of payment. The usual thing is to find rates that go from 20 to 100 euros per year or more. In most cases the payment will be held annually. If the latter is a problem for you, try to find a company that offers you the relevant coverage and that allows you to pay a monthly fee. But, as we tell you, they are a strange case.
Insurers for electric scooters
If you have come this far and are determined to take out insurance for electric scooters, it is good that you take a look at the following list of insurers. How could it be otherwise, these are just some of the companies that offer this service.
Zurich Klinc offers three different packages. The most basic includes essential coverage, with 150,000 euros of civil liability. In addition, it comes with a legal defense of up to 1,500 euros.
axa is another of the companies that jump on the scooter insurance bandwagon. It is possible to hire it from 20 euros a year and enjoy civil liability coverage, advice from a lawyer and accidental damage to third parties.
In Cleverea offer a varied selection of insurance for urban mobility. According to its official website, it is possible to get a policy for 1 euro per monthalthough this price will depend on the coverage selected.
The Royal Automobile Club of Catalonia (RACC) offers insurance for electric scooters that starts from the 41 euros per year. It offers, as a base, civil liability of up to 150,000 euros, extendable up to 300,000 euros. In addition, it comes with a doctor on call, consultations and legal advice and the inclusion of additional family members.
Helvetia It has insurance for scooters, segways, hoverboards, unicycles and bicycles. The entire family unit can be included in the same policy and contracting is done 100% online.
Insurance for electric scooters: conclusions
Everything that we have analyzed in this article makes clear the need to be protected against possible mishaps that occur when driving an electric scooter. Some studies indicate that this vehicle is more dangerous than motorcycles and that the consequences of a fall can be disastrous. Due to this, the importance of insurance for electric scooters, an affordable service that provides extra peace of mind to the driver. Keeping in mind the different details included in this guide will help you choose the covers that best suit your needs.
Related topics: Urban mobility