We thoroughly compare the iPhone 14 with the iPhone 12 so that you can assess whether it is worth changing, or choose the perfect model for you.
Choosing a new iPhone or deciding to jump to a new model is not easy, there are many interesting iPhones on the market and the differences are not easy to find. And two of those iPhone models are for sure the iPhone 14 and iPhone 12so we have decided to make this comparison so that you get out of doubt.
On the one hand, we have the new iPhone 14 with a continuous design and slight improvements compared to the previous generation. And on the other we have one of the best iPhones that Apple has created, the iPhone 12, which continues to sell very well thanks to its great specifications already. its great value for money.
Every time the Apple iPhone are more powerful and more durable, so buying an iPhone with two years on the market is still a good option as it is cheaper. Apple continues to sell the iPhone 12 in the Apple Store, a device compatible with iOS 16 and with at least 3 or 4 years of updates ahead.
What are the differences between iPhone 14 and iPhone 12?
Although between the iPhone 14 and the iPhone 13 there are not many differences, with respect to the iPhone 12 we find some very relevant improvements:
- More powerful A15 Bionic chip.
- Longer battery life.
- New colors: Purple and new shades of Blue and Red.
- Satellite connection.
- Detection of traffic accidents.
- New main camera.
- New selfie camera.
- Cinema mode to record videos
- More base storage capacity (128 GB).
- Smaller notch.
- More brightness on the screen.
- Double eSIM.
In-depth comparison between iPhone 14 and iPhone 12
|iPhone 14||iPhone 12|
|Dimensions||14.67 x 7.15 x 0.78cm||14.67 x 7.15 x 0.74cm|
|Screen||6.1-inch Super Retina XDR OLED||6.1-inch Super Retina XDR OLED|
|Resolution and density||2,532 x 1,170 pixels, 460 dpi||2,532 x 1,170 pixels, 460 dpi|
|Processor||A15 Bionic||A14 Bionic|
|Operating system||iOS 16||iOS 16|
|Storage||128, 256 and 512GB||64, 128 and 256GB|
|cameras||Double camera (12+12 MP)||Double camera (12+12 MP)|
|Front camera||12 MP with autofocus||12MP|
|Drums||20 hours of video playback||17 hours of video playback|
|Colors||Star White, Midnight, Blue, Purple and Red||Black, White, Red, Green and Blue|
|Others||Accident detection, connection to satellites, Dual SIM, Dual eSIM, Face ID, IP68 water resistance 30 min at 6 meters, MagSafe, Ceramic Shield||Dual SIM, Face ID, IP68 water resistance 30 min at 6 meters, MagSafe, Ceramic Shield|
|starting price||€1,009||909 euros|
At the level of general design, we find very few changes. The iPhone 12 was in charge of launching a new design, with straight edges and a completely flat screen, and the iPhone 14 inherits that same external design.
The most notable design is the notch reductionwhich occupies considerably less on the iPhone 14 than on the iPhone 12. In addition, the camera module is slightly larger in the iPhone 14, with the sensors placed diagonally. And we also have a change of colors, although that already depends on the tastes of each one.
The cameras are located in a square rear module. There are two years of difference, so in the iPhone 14 we have an improved main sensor, despite keep 12 megapixel resolution. These are the camera specifications for one of the main cameras:
- iPhone 14 main camera: 12 MP with ƒ/1.5 aperture and 1.9 μm pixels.
- iPhone 12 main camera: 12 MP with ƒ/1.6 aperture and 1.4 μm pixels.
These are all the improvements of the iPhone 14 camera compared to the iPhone 12:
- New main camera. Enhanced with ƒ/1.5 aperture and 1.9μm pixels for higher quality photos and videos in any light. This opening lets in 49% more light compared to the iPhone 13, which has improved in this section by 47% compared to the iPhone 12.
- New TrueDepth front camera. With an aperture of ƒ/1.9 that allows you to take better photos and videos in low light. Introduce autofocus, focus even faster in low light, and take group shots from further away.
- New Action mode. It allows you to record incredibly stable videos.
- ultra wide angle. Wider images and better low-light photos thanks to the Photonic Engine.
- Enhanced True Tone Flash. 10% brighter and with a more uniform effect.
- Cinema mode. Now it allows recording in 4K at 30 f / s and in 4K at 24 f / s.
- Photo Styles: Adjustments that raise or lower colors while keeping skin tones natural.
- Cinema mode to record videos with a shallow depth of field.
- Photonic Engine: Improves the photographic performance of all cameras in medium or low light environments: up to 2x in the ultra wide angle, 2x in the TrueDepth camera and 2.5x in the new main camera.
- Optical Sensor Shift Image Stabilization.
The iPhone 14 incorporates the A15 Bionic chipa powerful processor that repeats for the second year in a row, is the same one found in the iPhone 13. Therefore, we have interesting improvements regarding the chip iPhone 12 A14 Bionic, but there is no change of two generations as might be usual. This shows the incredible power of Apple chips.
Even so, we have a significant improvement in terms of performance, especially in multicore behavior. These are the scores of both processors on Geekbench:
- A15 Bionic chip: 1738 Single-Core and 4732 Multi-Core.
- A14 Bionic chip: 1578 Single-Core and 3861 Multi-Core.
The iPhone have improved a lot in battery in their last generations and With the new iPhone 14 we take a new step forward. The truth is that we achieved much more autonomy than in the iPhone 12. These are Apple’s official data on battery life in different conditions:
iPhone 14 battery life
- video playback: up to 20 hours
- video streaming: up to 16 hours
- audio playback: up to 80 hours
iPhone 12 battery life
- video playback: up to 17 hours
- video streaming: up to 11 hours
- audio playback: up to 65 hours
In the price we find a big difference. Apple has decided to raise the price of all iPhone 14s and not lower the price of iPhone 13 or iPhone 12, so we find ourselves with an official difference between the two that reaches 200 euros. Although the truth is that the iPhone 12 can be found much cheaper:
- iPhone 14 official price: 1,009 euros.
- iPhone 12 official price: 809 euros.
Is the iPhone 14 worth it if you have the iPhone 12?
A very difficult question to answer. If things like exterior design or performance They are important to you, I think this time it’s not really worth the jump. The iPhone 12 is still a great device that can last for many more years.
Just in case the cameras or the battery are aspects that you give a lot of importance to, I would advise changing the iPhone 12 for the iPhone 14. In these sections, the improvements that Apple has achieved in two years are very noticeable. Although perhaps in this case you prefer an iPhone 14 Plus, an iPhone 14 Pro or an iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Is it more advisable to buy the iPhone 14 or the iPhone 12?
Another not easy question. If you are thinking of buying a new iPhone, you may be hesitating between these two models, and this time I have a clearer answer. The iPhone 12 offers you better value for moneyit is not difficult to find it 300 euros cheaper than the iPhone 14.
Therefore, and seeing the improvements, my recommendation would be to get the iPhone 12. If what you are looking for is to take better photos, the normal thing would be to spy on a Pro model, and if you want more battery, go for a Plus or Max model. But if you just want an iPhone that works and is very balanced, I would go for the iPhone 12 for its good price.
This article suggests objective and independent products and services that may be of interest to readers. When the user makes a purchase through the specific links that appear in this news, iPadizate receives a commission. join up to iPadizate’s bargain channel to find out about the best deals before anyone else.