After Nintendo stopped updating the console’s operating system and closed the eShop in March 2023 (the official online store for buying video games), it released a surprise new update for its old handheld console that the company says brings better stability and usability. But experts warn that will stop you from hacking the nintendo 3DS.
D according to a Twitter post from data miner@ylws8bot, the update made changes to the system settings, the internet browser, the main menu and even the online store. With this in mind, it definitely looks like it was focusing on combating piracy, although this has not been confirmed by Nintendo.
Some Nintendo fans mention that the only appeal the update might have had was lost a couple of months ago. In mid-March 2023, Nintendo closed the 3DS online storewhich contained games from most of the video game brand’s consoles, from the NES to the Nintendo 3DS itself, and although there are physical titles that you can still buy and play on your console, the prices can be high.
How can I hack the Nintendo 3DS?
As we mentioned, cWith this new console update it is impossible to hack the Nintendo 3DS. And if you try to do so, your associated MyNintendo account may be permanently locked or your console may be unusable for life.
Before this change, users installed a Custom Firmware (CFW), a modification to the official Nintendo operating system that alters its normal operation. This allowed you to execute different actions that, in a traditional way, you could not. Popular uses for a custom firmware include:
- Running homebrew software (unofficial programs) and games that are made or have been ported to the Nintendo 3DS
- Bypass region lock, allowing you to play games from other countries (this limitation was removed for the Nintendo Switch)
- Have a different Home than the official one, you can use themes created by the community itself
- You can enjoy fan-made games (“ROM Hacks”) through apps like LayeredFS
- Edit, backup and restore save data of different titles
- Emulate older consoles as well as natively play Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance games
- Install physical cartridges for use in digital format
Preserving the history of video games
Now, as we can see, “hacking the Nintendo 3DS” does not necessarily mean that you are going to install games illegally. In fact, several YouTubers and influencers from the gaming industry mention that, if indeed, the company’s update comes to combat piracy, really what you are doing is making it difficult to preserve games.
This is a more complex topic, but let’s keep it simple: the Japanese company no longer allows you to buy the games officially through the eShop, so if a digital game is exclusive to the eShop, you can’t get it anymore.
Now, if you want to buy a physical game that had later updates or DLC’s, You will not be able to enjoy that extra content either because the store has already closed. All this ends up being a tool to the detriment of the Nintendo user.