Netflix makes its plan official with ads, cheaper and with advertising to try to recover users.
Netflix started the year 2022 with a historic drop in subscribers and that has led the company to make drastic decisions. And one of those decisions is a new cheaper plan with ads. This new type of subscription was announced a few months ago and we already have all the details available.
Netflix’s ad-supported plan is obviously the cheapest that the company offers and will arrive throughout the month of November 12 countries. But we also know many other things about it, such as image quality, or the frequency of ads.
Basic Plan with Netflix ads, everything you need to know
The Basic plan with Netflix ads is a subscription plan with advertising that allows you to enjoy movies and series at a lower price. The ads will be shown before or during the playback of most series and movies. This is all you need to know:
Basic plan price with Netflix ads
- 5.59 euros per month in Spain.
- MXN 99 per month in Mexico.
- $6.99 per month in the US.
Netflix Basic with Ads launch date
- November 1, 2022: Canada and Mexico.
- November 3, 2022: Germany, Australia, Brazil, Korea, the United States, France, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom.
- November 10, 2022: Spain.
Basic plan picture quality with Netflix ads
The video image quality up to 720p/HD, the same one we had in the Basic plan until now. Full HD is still reserved for the Standard plan and Ultra HD for the Premium plan.
Advertising on the Basic plan with Netflix ads
- Typically, you see an average of 4 minutes of ads per hour of playback.
- Each ad can be up to 30 seconds long.
- Ads will not be shown on child profiles.
- You can’t skip or fast-forward the ads, although you can pause them.
- The ads displayed will be based on your interactions with Netflix and the information you have provided.
- Some movies and series will not be available due to licensing restrictions.
This is how the Netflix plans remain
The arrival of the new Basic plan with ads on Netflix leaves a total of 4 different plans For the users. This is what each of them offers:
- Basic with ads, 5.49 euros/month. View on 1 device at a time, 720p quality, no offline download, with ads, not all content available.
- Basic, 7.99 euros/month. View on 1 device at a time, 720p quality, download offline on one device.
- Standard, 12.09 euros/month. Watch on 2 devices at once, 1080p quality, download offline on 2 devices.
- Premium, 17.99 euros/month. Watch on 4 devices at once, 4K quality, download offline on 4 devices at once.
An interesting strategy indeed. Netflix was born as a platform alternative to traditional television in which you paid for a huge content of series and movies, and you had no ads. Now the tables have turned and it seems that this is the future of this type of platform, Disney has announced that it wants to do the same.