Although each entry or port is very small, they need a physical device to live on. In certain cases it can be an inconvenience despite being highly practical. That is where everyone has to see their needs. In any case, when we talk about hub we can distinguish two types of them:
- Hub with USB Type-C connections. They are the most modern and the most useful. Almost all computer equipment today has at least one USB Type-C port, including MacBooks. To amplify the number of ports, they only use type C, not being able to use the classic input. For example, very useful for charging phones or even passing files between them.
- Hub with USB type A connections. Those of a lifetime, the most functional. If you have an Apple computer, forget about being able to use them on it. Although they are less functional than the first ones, they have many more connection options, so their use is more widespread.
In either case, you have to review your needs and the devices you have, and buy one of them accordingly. We also tell you that hub adapters are usually mixed in most cases, and have both types of connections at the same time.
What you should look for when buying a USB hub
That said, you shouldn’t miss out on a few things when buying a good USB hub. In addition to the types that we have discussed, there are some important preliminary issues. Be careful, because it will determine that you end up buying one or another model!
- USB outputs. In the same port we can find several different types of exits. In this sense, what we are interested in looking at is that the more outlets it has, the better. So clear. The minimum we should opt for is 3 or 4 ports. And from that, all those who have more, the better. If you’re going to need to connect one or two more devices then there’s no need to foolishly take up space. If, for example, you want to connect multiple pen-drives, hard drives or mobile phones, then you will have to think about 6 or more ports. There are all kinds!
- security protections. It may be the case that, for some reason, the hub has an error, or even the computer itself, and that causes overheating, overvoltage, short circuit or high temperatures. In that case, it will not hurt to have some type of these protections that we indicate. The manufacturer will indicate it accordingly in the product file, since it is one of the most important aspects.
- USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0. It is important that the hub includes all kinds of outputs, that is, the two that exist: 2.0 and 3.0. As you can imagine, and broadly differentiating, the second is much faster than the first. That is why we recommend that you include at least one 3.0, although the more, the better.
- charging points: Good adapters usually have these outputs to be able to fill the battery of our devices in a simple and fast way. In this sense, it is important to know the quality of the adapter so that it does not damage the battery of the device to which we do not plug.
- The transfer speeds of the files will vary precisely from USB 2.0 to 3.0. The best thing is that, if you are going to use it to transfer files such as hard drives, use a USB 3.0. In the case of 2.0 it does not matter, but in 3.0 they can reach 5 Gbps, which is recommended. Do not hesitate, if you are going to use the hub to transfer files, have 3.0 to be able to transfer at such high speed.
- Compatibility with the device in question. Since the USB hub is going to be connected to some type of main device, which is what will determine compatibility, you have to know beforehand if it will work or not. In each tab the manufacturer specifies the type of compatibility it has. For example, with Windows, with Macs, and even with Chromebooks.
- Backlight. It is an extra for which you should not pay more, but it will come in handy at night. Connect it the first time, without making a mistake! Some of them include the backlight within the port itself.
- The prices they shouldn’t worry you. They are really cheap for the most part. Even the top of the range reach 30 euros, approximately. We recommend them all!
Cheapest USB hub
As usual, we offer you a first pick of USB hubs that can fit into any pocket. Cheap and very functional, they will meet your expectations! These are some of the best that we have been able to find in the Amazon catalog.
The Jstoo brand also has a USB HUB model that adds inputs to a USB 3.0 and 3 additional USB 2.0 ports with a most modern and minimalist design. It has a very high data transmission speed with up to 5 Gbps, so you could even stream an HD movie in seconds.
USB 2.0 has a 480Mbps transfer rate so you can use keyboard, mouse and even bluetooth receivers. It is compatible with both Windows and iOS or Linux systems and you can even connect your laptop or game consoles, pen drive or printers among other devices. It is available on Amazon at a price of only 7.99 euros.
One of the best sellers in the entire Amazon catalog is this Lemorele, if you are looking for something that practically do not take up space and you can take it anywhere comfortably, this is yours. It is also very, very cheap.
We are talking about a hub with 4 extra ports: one of them is USB 3.0 and 3 others are USB 2.0. It is ultra-thin, only 9.5mm thick. Useful and compatible for all types of consoles, Windows, mobile, even for Apple. Its operation lies in being plug and play, with heat dissipation and protection of all kinds: over current, over voltage, short circuit and high temperature.
Hoppac: the best seller of the entire Amazon catalog
Next, we present the best seller of the entire Amazon catalog, this hoppac. And it is well worth its price. It is our particular recommendation. It is a hub with 4 USB ports, 3 of them are type 2.0 and the last one is 3.0, which supports data transfers up to 5 Gbps. Ideal for transferring all kinds of data, files, and a long etcetera.
Its operation is plug and play, and its most compact size. One detail is that each of the ports has an on and off button, which is very useful for leaving what you need permanently on without having to disconnect it. Its data transfer is fast, secure, with indicators and LED lights to be able to see at night… You can’t ask for anything more!
Its price is only €6.99 through Amazon.
Aceele: high speed guaranteed!
Excellent in every way. It is one of the most positive reviews: about 3,900! It has a long cable of 1.2 meters ideal to be able to extend it as much as you need and connect your favorite devices there. It has four ports, allowing speeds of data transfer up to 5 Gbps, being 10 times faster than USB 2.0. It has a state-of-the-art chip and runs at 5Gb/s per second. The price of this Aceele is about 16 euros.
USB hub with extra ports: type C, HDMI…
In this second part of the article we are pleased to present other models that are also excellent in terms of quality and price:
This Atolla brand hub features a USB connection and expands to a USB port. four additional USB inputs. Support data transfer speed up to 5 Gbps with USB 2.0 up to 480 Mbps and you can even stream an HD movie in a few seconds.
One of its strong points is that it has individual switches for each of its ports, as well as LED indicators to know which ones are in operation. It is small and ideal to transport on trips or work. You can find this hub on the Amazon website at a price of €15.99.
The ideal adapter to power share your screen wherever you are. You can easily connect this adapter to your laptop and extend your screen to a projector or even another monitor or TV for both presentations and multimedia viewing. It is a true multi-purpose for the price it has.
You will be able to transfer files quickly and backup up to 5 GBPS via a USB 3.0 port and you can even work with a keyboard, mouse and printer through its USB 2.0 port. It is compatible with both iOS and Windows as well as Chrome devices. You can find it on Amazon at a price of 16.99 euros.
Amazon Basics 7-port hub
Amazon also has its own range of products, and among them, we find many related to technology. So this 7 port hub It is one of the most powerful that we can find in the current hub market. Seven fully enumerated ports. As if that were not enough, each and every one of them has a high transfer speed, being 3.1 with up to 5 Gbps, in addition to an additional fast charging port of up to 2.4.
Also includes a 12V to 3A power adapter for high-speed data synchronization. Ideal if you want to connect a hard drive or any other mobile. In addition, its size is the most compact and small, available in black or silver. Compatible with USB 3.1, 3.0 and 2.0, with Mac OS and Windows 10.
Its price makes it one of the most expensive in this selection, but it is one of the gadgets that is really worth paying for: about 35 euros through Amazon.
East of Vemont It is one of the best sellers in the entire market. With more than 800 positive reviews, it is a true 5 in 1. It is made of aluminum, so you can transport it comfortably and resistantly anywhere. Its price is not expensive at all: about 30 euros for everything it includes.
Starting by telling you that it is a 5 in 1: a port EthernetRJ45, three USB 3.0 ports and 1 type C charging port. Come on, 5 incredible ports that will even be enough to connect to the ethernet network. It is fast charging, admitting a supply of up to 100W, top of the range in the broadest sense of the word!
You can get this Vemont through the following link:
Our sincerest recommendation: the best USB hub
Do you already know which USB hub to stay with? The selection has been close between so many models, since each one has hundreds of particularities. However, if we had to choose, we would have it quite clear.
The one from Amazon is very good. But for a somewhat lower price, the hoppac It has almost the same ports, on/off buttons and backlight, as well as a 3.0 port for high-speed transfer. A true top of the range below 10 euros! Don’t hesitate anymore.