Rest at least 7 hours per night night It is vital to maintain good health. Even if you spend enough time, there are people who spend a good time, even hours, until they fall asleep. The 4-7-8 method is a technique to combat insomnia that helps you fall asleep faster, certified by doctors.
There are many causes that can cause insomnia, or that it costs us a lot to reconcile sleep. In most cases it is due to stress, anxiety, and nervousness. And they are symptoms that increase when you get into bed and cannot fall asleep.
The 4-7-8 method is a breathing technique from yoga, recommended by experts like Dr. Raj Dasgupta, a clinical professor at the University of Southern California School of Medicine, or Rebecca Robbins, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and an expert in sleep disorders.
This technique has been proven to reduces anxiety and stress, promoting relaxation. If you are more relaxed, the symptoms that cause insomnia are reduced, allowing you to fall asleep faster.
And how is one anti-stress techniquecan be used at any time of the day, as it allows us to calm down and reduce nervousness.
The 4-7-8 method to fall asleep faster
Learning this technique is simple, explains Dr. Robbins on CNN. But it is important to practice it well so that it really has a positive effect.
Just follow these steps:
- Sit up straight. Later, when you get practiced, you can do it lying down.
- Place the tip of the tongue on the back of the upper front teeth, as we want the air to come out of the mouth, under the tongue.
- Exhale fully through your mouth, making a whooshing sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale calmly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale through your mouth slowly, making a puffing sound, while mentally counting to eight.
- Repeat the process three more times for a total of four breath cycles.
If you’re having trouble holding your breath for those seven seconds, you can count faster, but then it’s important to keep that pace through all your steps, not just your breath hold.
From a scientific point of view, this technique helps activate the parasympathetic nervous systemwhich is responsible for sleep and digestion, which reduces sympathetic activity, which is associated with nervousness and being always alert.
The 4-7-8 method to fall asleep faster It is easy to learn, so you have nothing to lose by putting it into practice. Try it before you go to bed, or when you can’t sleep.