We already have a release date for iPadOS and iOS 17 and since yesterday, we also know the release date for macOS, the Mac operating system and one of the most important updates in recent years. At the Wonderlust event, Apple indicated when macOS Sonoma would be officially released. Do you want to know its release date, its main news and the consequences of its launch? Keep reading as we tell you everything in this article.
macOS Sonoma and say thank you
macOS Sonoma, like the rest of Apple’s operating systems, was presented on June 5 at WWDC as the next generation of Apple’s OS for MacBooks, Macs and iMacs. Before knowing its release date, let’s review its main news:
- Wallpapers: macOS Sonoma includes different animated wallpapers that come by default so that we can add them to the Mac screen. This novelty reminds me a lot of Apple TVs.
- Widgets: We can also edit widgets and configure them adaptively. We have had these in the sidebar for several versions, but if we click on the “edit widgets” option, we can select the different sizes and sections and, for example, if we want to add one, we can place it in the sidebar or place them wherever we want. Furthermore, widgets are adaptive, that is, if we have a window above the widget, it changes its color to avoid overlapping objects and windows.
- Face Time: Now we can put ourselves in the middle of a conference through a cutout, and even put ourselves in front of a presentation, as well as establish actions through certain gestures. Also, for those who use the iPhone as a WebCam device, they will now also be able to use and control the composition of our video from the different lenses that Apple offers.
- Maps: The map app also allows you to view offline content and, in addition, allows you to obtain routes with charging for electric cars.
- Crown jewel: macOS Sonoma presents for the first time the possibility of Macs being able to support and play video games thanks to a new mode developed exclusively for it. Specifically, it has an 8-core GPU and CPU. This will allow the arrival of AAA games.
The launch date of macOS Sonoma would take place on September 26 at 10 a.m. in Cupertino and 7:00 p.m. Spanish time. Of course, it is important to highlight that not all devices of the generation are compatible with macOS Sonoma. Specifically, the Compatible devices are as follows:
- iMac 2019 and later
- iMac Pro 2017
- Mac Pro 2019 and later
- Mac Studio 2022 and later
- MacBook Air 2018 and later
- MacBook Pro 2018 and later
- Mac mini 2018 and later
The release of macOS Sonoma on September 26 confirms that there will be no Keynote in October or November 2023because otherwise Apple would wait to launch macOS Sonoma at the time of the launch of the new 24 nanometer iMac and the new M3 chip.
In conclusion, it is important to analyze that even though we have been with Apple Siliconthere are a large number of devices that have an Intel chip, so it will be the third generation of macOS that is developed dually for two different processors and seeing the years of updating that some devices have left, I do not rule out that this will spread until 2026 or 2027.