Goodbye to Xiaomi Gallery Sync
Today, Xiaomi provides 5 GB of free storage space in Xiaomi Cloud to back up contacts, messages, device settings, photos, and videos. But the Chinese brand could soon end its Gallery Sync feature.
Kacper Skrzypek 🇵🇱
Xiaomi is going to cancel sync photos and videos with Xiaomi Cloud and provide a convenient way to move them to Google Photos. Date to be determined yet, but it will start in 2022.
October 12, 2022 • 13:01
It has been found a template on the Xiaomi website that is preparing for the announcement of the closure of this service and, although without specific dates, it gives a timeline on the changes that are to come.
Later, at some point in the next year 2023 that is to be confirmed, the Google Photos migration window will close and the data download options will be disabled, so the Existing Gallery data saved in Xiaomi Cloud will be deleted after this date.
How to migrate to Google Photos
In the absence of knowing what the exact dates will be, since the termination of the service will be carried out with countries (regions) divided into three groups, and each group is subject to different deadlines, which has already been detailed on this website of help is the process that there will be to migrate our photos to Google Photos.
You can choose to securely transfer your Gallery data stored in Xiaomi Cloud to Google Photos until automatic transfer gradually becomes unavailable in 2023. Google Photos offers 15 GB of storage, which is shared between Google Photos, Gmail and Google Drive. For users who need additional cloud storage space to move their content from Xiaomi Cloud to Google Photos, users can take advantage of Google One trial subscriptions.
When a Gallery Sync service completion notification is received in the Gallery app or Xiaomi Cloud app, the process can be started. It can also be started manually from each of these applications:
- Gallery App: Home Page Text Message > Start Migration
- Xiaomi Cloud App: More > Move data to Google Photos
Once you start the process, you will have to follow these steps:
- Click the Move to Google Photos button.
- Select the Google account you want to migrate.
- Allow all relevant permissions.
- Choose whether to accept trial subscriptions provided by Google One or upgrade space according to the amount of space required for the migration (if the current space is sufficient, the migration will start automatically).
- Go back to the Gallery app and check the migration status.