The drop in fiber and mobile
If we take a look at the data provided by the National Commission for Markets and Competition, CNMC for its acronym, on the telecommunications market (updated to September 2022), we can see how both Orange, Vodafone and Movistar continue to drop in fiber and mobile customers. The first segment that we are going to review, are the fixed broadband lines of these three operators:
- Movistar: 5,778,500 lines, when in September 2021 they had 5,795,326.
- Orange: 3,864,464, compared to 3,890,090 lines during the same period last year.
- vodafone: 2,989,271 lines, being a significant drop from the 3,110,979 lines they had in 2021.
In total, if we add the losses of these three operators, we see how there are a loss of 164,161 lines fixed broadband. The Blues lose almost 17,000, while Orange loses 25,626. However, the most affected is Vodafone, which has lost almost 122,000 lines in just one year apart. And if we go to mobile terrain, the situation is as follows:
- Movistar: 15,885,837, being in 2021 up to 16,001,872 mobile lines.
- Orange: has 12,948,114 mobile lines compared to 12,869,461 last year.
- Vodafone: 12,767,533 mobile lines, out of the 12,415,583 they had in September 2021.
Digi and MásMóvil grow, and a lot
So far this year, there are two operators in particular that, when doing the math, have seen the great rise they have had until September 2022. We are referring to Digi and MásMóvil, since both telecommunications companies have gained about 1.57 million linescompared to the losses of Orange, Movistar and Vodafone.
If we look at the results of each of these two operators, we can see what the situation of the MásMóvil Group is. First of all, it has added up to more than 638,000 new lines until September of this year, since January of this same 2022, being around 151,000 fixed broadband lines and approximately 487,000 mobile lines.
In the case of Digi, we see a increase of up to 29% in its client portfolio mobile (reaching 3.61 million) until September 2022. And, in fixed broadband lines, we see how they also rise to 746,000. Although, in this case, the data is in year-on-year terms. In any case, from January to September added 642,000 mobile lines and 266,000 broadband.