However, what can we do until the update arrives? Well, we have several options at this point with the classic tips to save battery on the mobile, taking the most important ones and that have a good place in iOS 16. The other option is to go back to iOS 15, something a bit tedious, but it can be effective in some cases.
The most effective tricks to save battery
As we said before, there are many ways to extend the autonomy of an iPhone. Although if we stay with the most effective and they can serve you even for the future when iOS 16 is more optimized, we would be left with these:
- Turn off keyboard vibrationa new feature in iOS 16 and found at Settings > sounds and vibrations > keyboard response.
- Turn off auto brightness and try to be the one who manually manages it to put it at the lowest possible level, as long as it is enough for you to see it without damaging your eyesight. you can in Settings > Accessibility > Screen and text size.
- Set an automatic screen lock so that, in case of confusion, it does not stay on and consume battery. This is set to Settings > screen and brightness > auto lock.
- Use dark mode if you have an iPhone with an OLED screen. The black colors in this type of panels are represented with off pixels, which means that the consumption is lower. If you have an iPhone with an IPS panel (8, 8 Plus, XR, 11 or ‘SE’) this mode will have no effect.
- Prioritize the use of WiFi networks as long as it is necessary, since mobile data tends to consume much more energy.
- If you use the GPS, download the maps before with WiFi for offline use. This is a function available in Google Maps, but also in other apps such as Waze or Apple Maps itself.
- Prevent automatic downloads of applications and updates. You can manage this from Settings > apps Store.
- Disable background downloads so that they do not consume battery when they are not in use. You can disable them from Settings > General > background updateeither marking Nope for all or individually with their respective tabs.
- Don’t close the apps you use the most, linked to the previous point, it is convenient that you do not deactivate the execution in the background of those apps that you do use frequently and that you do not close them either. As we have already explained on other occasions, always closing the apps does not make the iPhone faster and it does not save battery life either because there is a higher consumption peak when they are reopened.
- Use battery saving mode more than usual, as long as you can do without certain features such as 5G, 120 Hz refresh rate, Mail push notifications or iCloud photo synchronization.
How to go back to iOS 15 until iOS 16 is fixed
We can also apply the old expression “the dog is dead, the rabies is over”. Going from iOS 16 to iOS 15 is not an easy task, since officially Apple does not recommend it nor does it give a method to do so. In fact, the company launched iOS 15.7 at the same time for older terminals and for those who, although compatible, would like not to update.
And there are other risks such as lose data and settings made in iOS 16. In fact, if you did not make a copy while on iOS 15, you will have to configure it as new. If you accept these consequences and make a backup of the iPhone, you can return to iOS 15.7 as the latest stable version of this system.
For it you will need a computer with Internet connection. In this case, both a Mac and a Windows PC will work, although the program you must use is different. We see it all in these steps, which are the ones you must follow to go from iOS 16 to iOS 15:
- From your computer, access the IPSW.me website.
- Select the model of your iPhone (if it is a ’14’ you cannot have a version prior to iOS 16).
- At the top, click on iOS 15.7.
- Now go to the bottom and click on the button Download. At that moment, an IPSW file will begin to download, which is the format that the iPhone software has.
Once this is done, play install IPSW on iPhone, for which you must use iTunes if your computer is Windows or if you have a Mac with macOS Mojave and earlier. If it’s a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, you must use Finder.
- Connect the iPhone to the computer using its corresponding cable.
- If you use iTunesopen it and go to the device management part by tapping on the iPhone icon at the top. If it’s Findertap on the iPhone that appears in the left sidebar.
- Beam click on Restore iPhone while holding down the key Alt on the computer keyboard (on some Macs, this key is called Option).
- Locate the folder where you downloaded the iOS 15.7 IPSW file and select it.
- Follow the steps on the screen to iOS 15.7 installation.
It should be noted that this process, like the IPSW download process, can take several minutes. In any case, once you finish it you will be in iOS 15.7 and you will be able to update it to iOS 16 or a later version anytime.