Movistar bets on the new MitraStar GPT-2841GX4X5 v8 and, beyond that free renewal plan for selected customers, the rest of the brand’s customers will be able to get it.
Price of the new Movistar Smart WiFi 6 router
Movistar has already published the legal document that collects the «Particular conditions of the Smart WiFi 6 router equipment rental service«. In this document we can see some interesting details about how the service will be provided.
customers who already had a fiber optic broadband service with Movistar supported by the ONT equipment (Optic Node Terminal, Optical Node Terminal) and router and would like to contract the Smart Wifi 6 Router Equipment, will have to pay a €70 activation fee (VAT included). However, if the client requests the installation of the self-installable equipment, the installation costs amount to 50 euros (VAT included).
This process will be quite simple and will allow you to save 20 euros:
- Unplug the fiber optic cable from your old router and plug it into the fiber optic port on the new computer. The new Smart WiFi 6 router has a black protector that you will need to remove first. Keep in mind that this cable that connects the equipment with the rosette is very delicate, so do not pull hard to avoid breakage.
- Connect the telephone cable to the «Telf» port of the equipment with a telephone outlet in your house. If you only have a landline, you can plug it directly into the equipment’s Telf port instead of the outlet.
- Plug the power adapter into the electrical network and into the connector on the computer. Flip the switch to the on position and check that all the LEDs light up blue with no problem.
- Connect to your network via WiFi, by WPS, reading the QR of your router so that your device connects automatically or using an Ethernet cable.
Once installed, the Smart WiFi 6 router equipment rental service will have a monthly fee of 0 euros for users who have contracted it.
Features and improvements of the new router
With this new WiFi 6 router you will have a speed up to 3.5 times higher and with 20% more coverage than the current Smart WiFi Router (the HGU). That was mounted in a horizontal position, while the new router is placed in a vertical design designed to make the most of the WiFi features of its 9 internal antennas (5 for 5 GHz WiFi and 4 for 2.4 GHz WiFi). LED status lights have been reduced in size, number, and power to keep the disturbance to a minimum.
- Band steering and Wi-Fi roaming functions.
- Ensure a minimum energy consumption in your IoT (Internet of Things) devices.
- Improve the security of your network: with WPA-2 encryption and the new WPA-3 protocol.
- Select a single network for your entire home, both 2.4 GHz and WiFi + 5 GHz.
Compared with the previous one, it supports connections up to 4 Gbps speed, has an improved coverage range, allows you to connect more devices at the same time, manages devices more efficiently, has WPA3 for maximum security, and supports Band Steering to have a single WiFi throughout the house and that consumes less than previous models.
The other great novelty is on the design side. As you can see, it will be placed in a vertical position to better fit all types of surfaces, occupying the optimal space.