Monitor curvature radius
Is he radio resultingin millimeters, made up of multiples of that monitor. The distance from the center of the circle to the side edges of the monitor. In other words, we could generate a circle with that monitor model with a given radius in millimeters.
But monitor curvature radius gives us another important fact to take into account. tells us the distance at which we should be from the monitor if we look at it head-on, to an optimal degree.
Standardized Curvature Types in Monitors
Manufacturing curved panels is more complicated than simply producing conventional flat panels. Currently there various standardized curvatures in the market, being some more common and others much more rare to see. Let’s talk a little about all of them and see what they offer or what they are like:
- 1000R: It refers to a radius of 1 meter (1000 mm) from the center of the circle. This is the one that comes closest to our field of vision, offering the better viewing experience. Above all, it is common in gaming monitors widescreen with a 16:9 ratio.
- 1500R: It tells us that you have a 1.5 meter radius (1500mm) with respect to the center of the circle. The curvature is significantly reduced compared to the previous model. It is usually present on monitors with a aspect ratio of 16:9 and 21:9
- 1800R: The radius is enlarged a little, being of 1.8 meters (1800mm) with respect to the center of the circle. Again, the curvature of the monitor is reduced. This is the typical monitor curvature in the ultra wide with 32:9 aspect ratio
- 1900R: Here the radius becomes 1.9 meters (1900mm) with respect to the center of the circle. It is pretty weird to see monitors with this curvature, since it is practically the same as the 1800R
- 2300R: We pass to a radius of 2.3 meters (2300mm) with respect to the center of the circle. This curvature can be found, above all, in monitors to work, being rare in gaming monitors. Note that, in general, it is a curvature rare
- 3800R: We have a radius of 3.8 meters (3800mm) with respect to the center of the circle. Here there is hardly any difference with flat monitors, the curvature being extremely subtle. It is quite rare to see monitors with this type of curvature because of how little it contributes
1000R curved monitors, ideal for gaming
If we are going to spend many hours in front of the screen playing, this is the perfect curvature to obtain the better gaming experience. They have the following advantages:
- is the most similar to human field of visionTherefore, all points on the screen are at the same distance from the eye
- Allow concentrate better what happens on the screen
- Offers an increase in realism in simulation games like Forza Horizon 4, F1 2022 or Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Reduces eye and neck strainsince it is not necessary to move the head from one edge to another
Main strengths of these monitors
It is important to know the strengths of these monitors with curvature compared to conventional flat monitors. These are:
- More immersive: They offer a much more immersive experience than flat screens. Allow concentrate better at work, in multimedia content or in games. It is done by using ocular perception concepts to offer enhanced vision.
- Reduced distortion: Enlarging a document or image usually generate a small graininess or distortion at the edges of flat screens. This annoying effect is significantly reduced on curved monitors, especially on wide images.
- Eye fatigue: Let the eye can see the entire screen effortlessly. We have, in this case, a more comfortable and organic viewing experience.
- They are usually light: Maybe it seems illogical to you, but a curved panel can be up to three kilos lighter than a flat one. It is not something that matters on a day-to-day basis, but it can be very important if we go to many events.
- Ideal for multitasking: Curved screens are usually Ultrawide, allowing us to replace our old screens with a single solution. To work with documents, software and so on, get more real space and make it more comfortableIt’s very important.
But it’s not all positive things
We have seen the positive aspects of widescreen monitors and now it’s time to see their weaknesses. As is often the case in computing, some things are great and some things are bad. Let’s see what are the more negative aspects of these monitors:
- Price: Without a doubt, the main defect of these monitors is the cost for the user. They currently have prices pretty tall and the reason is that it is a very new technology, that hasn’t been on the market for long. Over time, the prices of this type of monitors will normalize.
- Neck tension: Curved monitors are usually with a ratio 21:9 and 32:9, habitually. This makes it exist more distance between the edges of the screen and forces the neck to rotate a little more to see the entire screen
- Mounting: Due to its shape, it is more difficult to mount on the wall. Typically, these curved monitors require specific supports and positions determined for proper placement
- Reflexes: Occasionally, with the monitor being curved, it can cause bounce light straight into the eyes. This is solved by installing the monitor in such a way that it does not happen, whenever possible
Best curved monitors
We wanted to make a small selection of curved monitors in case you want to buy one. Here are some of the monitors that we would buy for their features and benefits.
This Samsung monitor is characterized by using a VA type panel with a 1440p (WQHD) resolution. This monitor offers us a refresh rate up to 144 Hz with technology support AMD FreeSync Premium. It has a curvature 1000Rwhich is ideal for video game fans who want to concentrate on the game.
About connectivity, this monitor has a DisplayPort 1.2, two HDMI 2.0 and a headphone jack.
Xiaomi Mi Curved 34″ GL
You may be looking for a bigger monitor to enjoy your favorite games. This Xiaomi is characterized by having a IPS type panel with a 3440×1440 pixel resolution in a 21:9 ratio. We talk about a ultra panoramic monitor which offers us support for a 144 Hz refresh rate with support for AMD FreeSync and a response time of 4 ms.
Does this monitor have a curvature 1500R, which is a hybrid solution for both gaming and work. On the other hand, this monitor has two HDMI 2.0, two DisplayPort 1.4 and a headphone jack.
BenQ MOBIUZ EX3410R
We are now going with a solution of higher quality and benefits than the previous model, but similar in characteristics. This BenQ monitor has a VA type panel that offers us a resolution 3440×1440 pixels. This monitor offers us a 160 Hz refresh rate with AMD FreeSync Premium and a response time of 5 ms. Does this monitor have a curvature 1000Rwhich is perfect for gaming.
This monitor integrates two HDMI 2.0, a DisplayPort 1.4 and two USB 3.0, it also has a USB-B necessary to connect it to the computer and be able to transfer data with it.