We explain the steps to change the PIN of the SIM card and the lock screen on Android and iOS.
The security of a mobile device is an increasingly important issue. Therefore, it is crucial to know how to strengthen the access methods, both to the SIM card and to the device itself. In this guide we explain what are the steps you must take to change the PIN of your mobile step by step whether you have an iOS mobile or an Android phone.
In addition to giving you the necessary instructions so that change the PIN of your mobile, we include some recommendations in order to help you generate stronger keys. In this way, you can implement the necessary security to prevent intrusions by unauthorized persons. So stay until the end! In this article you have all the information you need about it.
How to change the PIN number of your mobile if you have an Android
We start by focusing on Google’s operating system. Here are the directions for change your mobile PIN if this is an android.
On Android, changing your lock screen PIN is as simple as this:
- Enter the section Security of the phone settings.
- tap on Screen lock.
- Choose PIN.
- Enter the current PIN and then the new one.
In addition to the PIN, there are other unlocking methods that are worth knowing:
- Slide. It refers to swiping the lock screen. Actually, it is an insecure method, since it does not include any key or password.
- Pattern. It allows you to unlock the mobile by sliding your finger through different points to form a specific pattern.
- Password. It is used to configure an alphanumeric password instead of a PIN that only includes numbers.
As our colleagues from Andro4All mention, this is what you have to do to change the SIM PIN on Android:
- Enter the settings and open the section Security.
- Click on the section SIM card lock.
- tap on Change SIM card PIN.
- Write the current PIN of the card.
- Enter the new PIN code.
- Again, type the new PIN code.
- Confirm the operation so that your SIM card has a new PIN code.
How to change the PIN number of your mobile if you have an iPhone
iOS users should also try improve your lock code. Next, we explain how to modify the PIN on an iPhone.
We start by reviewing the steps to modify the lock screen PIN, also known as lock code in iOS. This is how it’s done:
- Go into the phone settings.
- tap on Face ID and code either Touch ID and passcodedepending on the model of iPhone you have.
- Enter the current code of your mobile.
- Find the option change code.
- Retype your current PIN.
- Enter the new password.
On the contrary, if what you are looking for is change the PIN of the SIM card installed in your iPhone, these are the steps you must take:
- Open iPhone settings.
- press on Mobile data.
- touch the button SIM PIN.
- Access the section Change PIN.
- Enter the current PIN code.
- Type in the new PIN you want to set up on your card.
- Re-enter the new password to confirm the change.
Tips to change the PIN number of your mobile and make it more secure
The instructions included in the previous sections are used to implement a completely personalized code, both on the lock screen and on the SIM card. Doing it, you will prevent others from accessing your phone and, additionally, you will prevent them from making calls or connecting to the network. However, it is good to ask yourself if you are really using strong keys.
We did not want to put an end to this article without offering you the best tips for generating harder to guess combinations. Here are our recommendations:
- Do not use personal references. In order to make them easier to remember, many users choose passwords that include personal data, such as dates of birth. Keep in mind that anyone who knows that information could guess your PIN.
- Take advantage of all the characters. Many believe that a PIN can only contain 4 characters. However, most devices support up to 8 digits. In the case of SIM cards, only numbers can be included. But some mobiles support alphanumeric combinations for the lock screen.
- No consecutive sequences. Although it may seem like a joke, the most popular passwords are combinations of consecutive numbers, such as 0000, 1234 or 654321. If some of your passwords look like this, you have made a big mistake! Follow the steps above to implement a new password right now and improve the security of your mobile.
- If you are afraid of losing your PIN, write it down in a safe place. Sometimes the reason a PIN is easy to guess is that the user is afraid they won’t be able to remember it. As a consequence, sequences or personal data that others know are chosen. Remember that sometimes it is more advantageous to create a stronger password and keep a written copy in a place that is difficult to access. Also, once you’ve entered your PIN multiple times, you’re unlikely to forget it.
To find out if your password is secure, take a look at this article. It reveals some of the weaker passwords and which, surprisingly, are used more frequently. These are some examples:
Do any of them sound familiar to you? Run to change the PIN of your mobile. Don’t waste a minute.
Related topics: Android
We are on Google News!