The DGT is updated with its new fines
The DGT is in a continuous evolution of its rules. In recent years, some rules have been modified and penalties have been tightened considerably, with no other objective than to achieve safer roads at all times and for everyone.
In this, the road agency has once again updated its rules and its table of sanctions from several integrations in the General Traffic Regulations that, if we are not careful or attentive, we may have to pay up to 500 euros for some type of infraction.
In fact, and as we already knew previously, to these new regulations that arrive in 2023 we must add the renewed catalog of DGT signals, in which Traffic has chosen to renew those that are its vertical and horizontal signsamong them the Stop or the pedestrian crossing, incorporating others such as for users of electric scooters.
Thus, the bill for these new fines as a whole, which modifies the Traffic Law of 2015, has as its objective the aggravation of the sanctions provided for those behaviors that increase the risk for drivingsuch as the use of the mobile phone while driving or the misuse of the security and protection elements of the vehicle.
In general terms, it can be said that the fundamental novelties are that the use of mobile in the car it is penalized more and the prohibition of exceeding 20 km/h is incorporated, the limit for pass on the road, among others.
Among the new measures, it stands out that «now you can recover your points after two years without committing violations that lead to loss of points. But there is more…
- Fines for access to the ZBE. With the new law, restricted access and traffic areas multiply. 200 euro fine.
- Elimination of the 20 km/h margin for overtaking on conventional roads. Your fine is 200 euros.
- The penalty with six points of the driving license holding the mobile with the hand. 600 euros.
- Four points for not using a seat belt, child restraint systems (child seats), a helmet and other protective elements. 200 euros.
- Mandatory helmet for users of personal mobility vehicles, such as scooters. 200 euros.
- The new law also replaces the serious infraction consisting of using, for the mere fact of “carrying in the vehicle”, detection mechanisms of radars or kinemometers. The new offending type maintains the loss of three points that was assigned to the previous offense, but increases its penalty: from 200 to 500 euros.
- It is mandatory, on roads with more than one lane in each direction, to change lanes when overtaking cyclists or mopeds. In addition, the points to be deducted are increased from four to six when overtaking, endangering or hindering cyclists without leaving the mandatory minimum separation of 1.5 meters, maintaining the amount of 200 euros. It is also prohibited to stop or park on bike lanes or on cycle paths.
- Fines for minors who drive under the influence of alcohol. The Traffic Law imposes zero tolerance for minors under 18 who, for now and until the new B1 permit comes into force, in Spain can only use mopeds and so-called Personal Mobility Vehicles (VMP). The fine for these and for adults is 500 euros.
- Increase from four to six the points to be deducted for throwing objects onto the road or in its vicinity that could cause accidents or fires. 500 euros.