There aren’t many iOS 16 updates left given the impending iOS 17 unveiling at WWDC 2023. However, there are still a few. For now iOS 16.5 is now availablean intermediate version focused on optimizing performance, but which incorporates some interesting visual and functional novelties.
It should be said that if you are a user of other Apple devices You’ll also find updates for iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV. And it is that this Thursday the homologous versions of that iOS 16.5 were launched, already having iPadOS 16.5, watchOS 9.5, macOS 13.4 and tvOS 16.5.
All the news that iOS 16.5 brings
Like all software updates worth their salt, especially one as advanced as iOS 16.5, we find ourselves with performance optimizations, bug fixes and security patches. These are the characteristics that perhaps least attract attention, but in the end they are the most important.
Regarding the problems it fixesstand out those related to failures that prevented the search engine from being used correctly, the random reset of the ‘Use time’ function and other failures related to the connection in cars through Apple CarPlay.
However, we find ourselves Other features Added in this version:
- New ‘Pride 2023’ wallpaper: One more year Apple celebrates LGTBQ Pride with the integration of a new wallpaper with the same inspiration as the sphere that is added to the Apple Watch. A colorful lock screen wallpaper that, like other wallpapers in iOS 16, has its own unlock effect.
- Possibility to update with less than 50% battery: Although it is not available to update this version, for future versions this historical limitation ends. We will no longer have to update with a 50% or more battery, lowering that limit to 20%.
- Siri already records our screen: It is not that it is a bomb novelty, but the assistant can already start a recording if we ask it by voice without having to execute the action manually from the control center.
- Turn off the phone, it’s also a Siri thing: Another functionality that is added to Siri is being able to turn off the iPhone. Again, not the software revolution you’d expect, but somewhat useful if you can’t interact with the buttons and screen at any given time.
- Apple News with new sports section: We cannot use this app if we have the iPhone configured with the region of Spain and other Latin American countries, but in the United States and the regions where it is, a new tab dedicated to following the news of all kinds of sports has been added.
Regarding sensations with this version and how is the battery, we can say that we have been with the last beta for several days (the ‘RC’ 2) which has been the same one that has now been released to the public. This, as always, depends among other things on the battery health of each iPhone and also this is not an exact value. In any case, if the reference of this humble servant with an iPhone 13 Pro Max at 84% health works for you, I must say that I have experienced a slight improvement, although it is not something very noticeable either.
This update, like previous iOS 16 updates, is available globally to everyone with a iPhone 8 or later model. We remind you that you can find this new version in Settings> General> Software update.
In Xataka Mobile | Android 14 takes a huge leap forward, but it’s still missing all this iOS stuff
In Xataka Mobile | Top 25 Tricks to Squeeze iOS 16 on an iPhone